Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer Review

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What if Florida, Rhode Island, parts of California, and more were suddenly washed away by giant tsunamis? What if the sky was constantly ash barren for months straight, without a glimmer of sunlight due to new volcanoes erupting? What if all you could eat was 1/4 of a can of green beans as your entire meal for the day, while knowing you wouldn't eat again for two days? What if I told you this was all caused because of a miscalculation? A miscalculation dealing with the moon. In Life As We Knew It bu Susan Beth Pfeffer, scientists worldwide miscalculate the impact of a meteor hitting the moon. The night of the event, the moon was pushed closer to Earth, drastically changing the gravitational pull and everything with it. Almost instantly, the tides change causing giant tsunamis, wiping out parts of the country. Life changes dramatically for everyone on Earth.

Pfeffer's story follows one family in particular. Miranda and her family have the struggles of everyone else, but to hear it from through the eyes of one high school girl makes it all the more interesting. There are highs (surprisingly) and lows (obviously) but a strong sense of familial effort is felt throughout this book.

I, personally, was touched when reading this. It made me think about what would happen to me if suddenly we were skyrocketing towards the coveted 'end of the world'. How would my life be impacted? What would I be feeling? What are regrets I'd have? Things I wished I'd done, things I'd wished I'd done better, things I wished I'd never done to begin with. It was scary. It was in your face, I don't care how much it hurts to think about it scary lol. It honestly freaked me out a little. Once I got past the initial stages and calmly and rationally realized this is just a book, the world is not ending, I really thought about these things. I felt for Miranda's character so much at times and other times I was smacking my forehead for her! I thought that Pfeffer did a remarkable job penning this character. Perfect of that of a teenage girl going through a crisis.

It was my pleasure to be able to read this first book in Mrs. Pfeffer's trilogy. I am so pleased to say my library is ordering the next two for me to read, so I will read them soon and have those reviews up after doing so! May I finish with thanking Susan Beth Pfeffer. Thank you for closing this Book One by giving us a glimmer of hope.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. :D Sounds like a good book, even if it's YA! lol Glad you told me about your blog. Now, I can follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Hannah! Definitely sounds like a thought-provoking read.

    I'm commenting today to let you know that you were "tagged" on my blog today. :) No need to participate if you don't want to, but if you're interested here's the URL:

    http://seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com/2011/07/tag-youre-it.html

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete