Tuesday, January 3, 2012

From Seas to Shining Sea Road Trip - First Stop!

Today, we're talking about states! I was out of blogging ideas tonight so my friend, AJ, helped me brainstorm states in our conversation. First of all.....can you all put all 50 states in their correct places on the map!? Try and see if you can beat me HERE ; ) I got an 82% with an average error of 54 miles and completed it in 325 seconds!



America, the beautiful. Our country certainly can be beautiful, can't it? I'm can't say that I am upset to have been born here; I feel fortunate. Yes, I am ashamed of things in our past. I am ashamed of things my white brothers did in their past, but I know things can change. I feel fortunate that I can room with Amanda, my beautiful roommate, and not see the color of her skin. I am fortunate to be able to graduate from high school, go onto college, and choose to study whatever I want. I am fortunate to have a roof above my head every night, food on my table everyday, and running water whenever I need to use it. I am thankful for the opportunities that have stemmed from living in the United States of America. Even though it is not the Fourth of July lol I've been thinking after watching Times Square on New Years. How lucky are we all for living in this country?

This thinking led me to a new idea for the blog. This post begins a discovery of our nation from sea to shining sea. It is a road trip of sorts that will take us into the nooks and crannys of the United States of America : ) Today is merely the first stop of 50 on our From Sea to Shining Sea Road Trip and of course we're starting in the most sensible place to start!

I live in Vermont, as many of you know already. I am so happy to have been brought up in Vermont and New England in general! I love it here with the changing of seasons especially : ) It's so beautiful here and you should ALL come visit me when you get the chance! I'll take you on all the back roads to see things like that picture on the left. It'll be fun, promise.

When I think of Vermont, I think of beauty, cows, blue skies and dark winters, icy roads, dirt roads, muddy roads, roads filled with pot holes! Maple syrup and warm pancakes, hot apple pie (apple pie is our state pie! Apples, our state fruit, ya know :D), apple picking, raking leaves, marshmallows (no, not the edible ones!!), family, home. I can't wait for you all to get a glimpse of my state : )


Alicia and I outside Gramma and Grampa's house when we were little

1) Vermont is the largest maple syrup producer in the country producing over 500,000 gallons a year.
2) Vermont is the second largest state in New England with Maine being the first.
3) Coldest temperature recorded: -47 degrees F Hottest: 106 degrees F
4) About half the milk consumed in New England comes exclusively from Vermont : )
5) Montpelier is the smallest state capital in the US (and also the only one without a McDonalds!)
6) Vermont is the second smallest state in population.
7) Vermont has the least amount of violent crime out of all 50 states.
8) Until 1996, Vermont was the only state without a Walmart! (That's right, we're cool :P)
9) Know as the Green Mountain State.
10) Vermont was the first state admitted to the Union after the 13 Colonies.
Motto: Freedom and Unity
Flower: Red Clover
Bird: Hermit Thrush

Vermont State Song: These Green Mountains

Diane Martin - Composer
Rita Buglass - Arranger

These green hills and silver waters
are my home. They belong to me.
And to all of her sons and daughters
May they be strong and forever free.

Let us live to protect her beauty
And look with pride on the golden dome
They say home is where the heart is
These green mountains are my home.

These green mountains are my home.




So, we're off! On a worldwind adventure, who knows what we'll find, eh? :) I hope you will ALL join me as we visit the treasures our country has for us.

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Hannah

Summers spent in Gramma's pool : )

2 comments:

  1. I luv road trips. I'm looking forward to many road trips with you. What an exciting plan for your blog. I've fallen in luv with your blog. So I'll stick around for a bit. I'll bet autumn and winter are so pretty in New England. I'd trade places with you in a hot moment. Thanks for inviting me along. Cool~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a banner. Don't know how to make one. I would luv to have your button on my blog. I won't take it. I'll wait until my banner is made like 200 years from now.

    ReplyDelete